The Tiger will Live on....


I still remember climbing the tree in the little hillock adjacent to Feroz Shah Kotla ground. It was 1964 and I was something of 13. I with couple of my friends had bunked the school to watch the India-England Test match that was being played in Delhi. It was last day of the Test. I was seeing a Test match for the first time live on the field. It was also my first time watching the cricket from a tree top. I was seeing Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi with just one eye driving and pulling the ball all over the field. I still remember that magnificent drive when he was at199. It left everybody glued to their spot as the ball sped the boundary. Pataudi's score moved to 203. It was the first double century by an Indian against MCC. The excitement of that historic moment can never be written. It was simply thrilling. For a moment I did not realize that I was perched on top of a"Tree". Thank God that day I was back home with all my limbs in the right place. It was one wonderful time when I enjoyed cricket to the brim.

Mansoor Ali Pataudi captained Indian Test Team when he was just 21. He led India in 46 Test Matches and India won 6 Test matches under his captain ship.

Tiger Pataudi passed away yesterday after a pronged illness .He may have suffered the pains of the illness perhaps nobody will know. However we all certainly know he will continue to live in the world of cricket. Also in the minds of thousands of his fan the saga of his cricketing will live on and I am one among them. How true once gone most of us fade away yet some do keep living Pataudi will be one of them. Yes the Tiger will live on..

May his soul rest in peace..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFRICAN SAFARI.....a Book Review

Giving words to my thoughts...

Who will win BIHAR .. 'Let the last Vote get counted'