That mid night "phone call"!





The month of MAY.,, It was dead of the night , I was just about to catch my wink of sleep when the  silence of the night was suddenly disturbed by the shrill of the telephone bell ringing in the drawing room. I got up from the bed and like a robot  walked  into the drawing room to  pick up the phone. As I lifted the receiver and brought it to to my ear, I heard a voice from the other side that said...Hi Bala. The voice was very familiar, so I said hi and got  into conversation.  The phone conversation went on something like this:

The voice from the other side:   Bala what is this "Corona Virus"?
 My Voice:    Hey don't tell me you don't know ...I chuckled
The voice from the other side :   You stupid  if I knew that  I won't be asking 
My Voice:     How could some one on this damn earth remain so   ignorant...I quizzed
The voice from the other side :    Bala  ,just tell me what is "Corona Virus"
My Voice :    Well "Corona Virus" is a type of virus that infects human typically leading to a sever upper respiratory infection. There are 7 of them and this current virus that has practically brought the entire humanity to its knee is called Covid 19.  This virus claimed to have originated from a "wet market" in China  started travelling through human carriers and spread into almost all the countries across the world. Some global political bodies also claim that this virus was lab invented in China and  it was China's first baby step towards  a biological warfare. This virus has so far killed more than millions and millions  across the globe
The voice from the other side:    Oh so that's the story  You know  just a while back as some of us were  as usual talking away 'nothing' , a bunch of human  arrive  and  out of curiosity as usual I asked them how come they are here.  They all at once together started babbling  It was a cacophony of  noises that I  hardly could make any sense of  Somehow I was able to pick up some words like "Migrant Workers", "Cornavirus" so I immediately decided to call you as others were  still  scratching their bones apart in  trying to  make  sense of  those  noises
Suddenly I felt like a 'scholar' and started telling the voice on  the other end about the covid 19 crisis. 

My Voice:    You see  those migrant workers are  some among the millions who were walking from one State to the other in fear, hunger and desperation because they had lost their livelihood These are the people who were left with no  choice of picking between a 'death' by hunger or a 'death' by  Covid So they decided to walk down to their home Sate from whichever State they were stranded in   They preferred   to die in their own State than to starve away to death in the State  which for them once was the "promised land"  . However all this time for the Govts that were responsible for their life and welfare  pretended ignorant of  their existence. Frankly speaking for all our politicians the life and welfare of the ordinary people continues to remain a "football" which is kept kicking till the time they get kicked out of this WORLD.,,,
I was absolutely emotional and passionate as I was  reeling out my "Baddas"...when I heard on the  "voice from the other side."...
  
The voice from the other side:   I know Bala , I know,  only when you  get kicked out, you come here,,  .Before I could say something the "The voice on the other side" had hung up!
After putting the receiver back in the cradle I walked from the drawing room and got into the bed to start counting sheep to grab that little bit of "sleep time" before the world wakes up to another day of social distancing  ..Now as I was about to catch  that precious  wink of sleep , I suddenly remember that "the voice from the other side" that I was speaking to was the voice of my friend...whose funeral I had attended last year...It was too  month of "MAY !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AFRICAN SAFARI.....a Book Review

Giving words to my thoughts...

Who will win BIHAR .. 'Let the last Vote get counted'