Tolerating the intolerance of few...

If we were not scared of secularism, perhaps we would be talking our mind out about faith, religion and rituals. In spite of being labeled a secular nation we continue to crush our freedom when expressing our views about a religion or a faith. If democracy is all about people's right and liberty, then why some religions stifle the masses and practice fanaticism with obsessive enthusiasm.

I am not at anytime for or against any religion. I respect  religious sentiments. If I have the right to take pride of my religion , so has everybody. But that however will never mean that we should   practice intolerance towards  people or sect who dare to put their point of view on the subject. I may have reasons  to love to hate people who may express views about my religion and my faith  that  may remain at tangent to my belief and my faith. However that doesn't give me the right to be devilish in pinning for their blood.


Salman Rushdie is a British Indian novelist. If his second novel 'Midnight Children' got him the prestigious Booker award, his  forth novel 'The Satanic Verses'  earned him the hate of the Muslim countries.Which is fine.What is not fine is their issuing a fatwa to kill him.The Muslim world  may disagree to agree that fatwa call is against tenets of humanity.They may also refuse to believe that no pristine religious Scripture will ever advocate any killing.They may also remain adamant that religious fanaticism is the only  right path to sainthood. I am sure no Indian will venture to disagree with this  theory of their righteousness as long as they don't attempt to enforce it into countries that are not per-se a Muslim country.

 India is a secular country and more known for her unity in diversity.Our's is a Democracy where for us freedom of expression is as holy as our religion itself. We perhaps remain victims of political intolerance, however it should not be read as our readiness to tolerate every political muck.

Forcing Salman Rushdie to stay off  the Jaipur Literature festival amounts to disrespecting people's right to freedom of expression.This reminds me of Shakespeare's three words Et,tu, Brute.?.

It is pathetic to see our vote banking politics remaining seized with tolerating the intolerance of the few...

.






Comments

Himanshu Tandon said…
Almost felt like you were voicing my sentiments. Well written once again Sir.

Popular posts from this blog

AFRICAN SAFARI.....a Book Review

Giving words to my thoughts...

Who will win BIHAR .. 'Let the last Vote get counted'